Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Getting from Here to There

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where..." said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland




Without a clear destination in mind we'll find ourselves as confounded as Alice. I have always had many dreams and wishes. I've come to realize that it's very easy to wish and dream your life away. But if I want to actually experience the fantasies in my head I have to make them happen. So where do I start? Which way do I go? 
Well I had to ponder that for a few years. 
Then after becoming completely frustrated and disgusted with my inactivity I let my frustration be my catalyst. I did what I do best, I turned to books.
I went to the bookstore and picked up a copy of Tim Ferriss's 4 hour work week.









When reseting your internal system he recommends you ask yourself, "What do I want?". Big or small, name it and seriously don't be afraid to dream big. After-all you only have this one life to make it happen and it isn't too late unless you think it is.


"Whether you think you can or you think you can't. You are right." - Henry Ford


Just to give you an extra cheesy layer of inspiration:


But the world is full of zanies and fools
Who don't believe in sensible rules
and don't believe what sensible people say
And because these daff and dewey-eyed-dopes
keep building up impossible hopes,
impossible, things are happening everyday.' 

-Whitney Houston "Impossible" lyrics


So jot down the goals and keep them where you can see them daily. 


If you're a Perpetual Procrastinator like myself it might be best to create a dreamline. Break the goals down into steps and set deadlines to fulfill each task. So my goal is to complete my first novel and maintain an informative and interesting blog, (work in progress, I know) One of my steps to reach that goal is to write for one hour a day be it commercially or creatively. I've given myself 3 months. Not realistic? Personally, I can't give myself too much of a window. As a procrastinator I need deadlines or my inner Scarlett O'Hara will rise, "I won't think about it now. I'll think about it tomorrow."


Now you may want me to provide more of Tim's insight and I will later but creating a dreamline should take thought and careful consideration. 
What do you really want? Start Here.





3 comments:

  1. Not sure if it's my screen, or your font size, but I literally can't see any words on this page besides Lewis Carroll. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about that, hope the update helped. I love your blog so any pointers you wanna give feel free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where do you come up with these quotes...the song by whitney houston. I wouldn't have even thought of that...and really (???) scarlet ohara O_o lol look i love gone with the wind too but to quote her LOL...

    ReplyDelete