Monday, December 5, 2011

Hey DJ

I miss good music. Music feels so...one size fits all today. The masses are celebrating entertainers that are "Bold" and "Original".  Even their supposed originality feels manufactured and purposely geared for shock and awe. Everybody's trying to go for shock value to deflect from the serious lack of genuine talent. Vulgarity + sex= Platinum hit.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy current hits but I miss the true artists of yesterday or just the simple but good songs. What the performers did in days gone by were true works of art. The definition of individuality. There are no other MJs, Boyz II Mens, Princes Madonnas or TLCs (just to name a few).
Even though I may enjoy some of the dime-a-dozen entertainers of today I know very few of them will have longetivity.
Seriously, when's the last time you bought an entire CD?

Good Music...
Most of the following are from the 80's, what?
I'm an 80's baby.

A few artists that you at least bought one album by:
Michael Jackson, Nirvana, Boyz II Men, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Prince, U2


Some songs are time-machines:
Take on Me- A-has ( I'm 5 years old trying to understand this video and wondering when Care Bears comes on again)


Air Tonight- Phil Collins (this song was featured in The Hangover but I first heard it on an episode of Miami Vice) Oh, Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas were gorgeous.



How about "Cool like dat"- Digable Planets (plaits, twists or braids)
Mr. Wendal- Arrested Development ( I still don't know what they were saying at the end of this song but that doesn't stop me from singing a long)


Remember songs that made you feel.
Even if you had never had the exact experience you felt the music:

In too deep- Yes Phil Collins again, the man's a genius.
Waiting for a girl- Foreigner
Open Arms- Journey
Hard to say I'm sorry- Chicago
Man in the mirror- Michael Jackson
End of the road- Boyz II Men ( I sang that for all I was worth and I had never even talked to a boy romantically yet)



Lastly, there are songs that will still make you pull a muscle trying to do the Roger Rabbit or the Cabbage patch:

Pretty much any Michael Jackson song (hence the Michael Jackson experience)
It takes two-  Rob Base & DJ Easy Rock

Motownphilly- Boyz II Men
Wooh Hah- Busta Rhymes
Now that we found love- Heavy D
Baby Got back- Sir Mix a lot (Oh my God Becky)
Ain't too proud to beg- TLC (I didn't even know what I was beggin for)



This might be an Obligatory Plug but I seriously go to FYE http://www.fye.com
to buy and sell my movies and CDs. I can usually find anything I'm looking for, no matter how old. Check em out.

What's some of your Time Machine songs?

   


         

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...(feeling nostalgic) i remember when i used to buy tapes ... it took me forever to catch up with the cd crowd. cause you know, (pointing inward) broke and po. But what about guilty pleasures...my was shhhhh...new kids on the block. Once my brother kwan found out about that he raked me through the laughing coals. But ok as I got older/get older I go back to the music my mother and step-father used to listen too. I'm an eighties baby so some of the stuff i listen to and still love is back from then...like the first one "Take on Me" it brought back the same feelings that it did then, which is I just want to rescue him too. and still think the girl in the video was a garbage picker. yeah.

    ReplyDelete